Hayling Island Meeting

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Hayling Island Meeting

Post by Mirak »

All,

Just a quick thank-you to Ivan for organising the Hayling meeting. The Hayling Island Sailing Club is a great location, with great facilities.

We managed two good days of boating with pub lunches and dinner in the club. We managed to find Bosham and Langstone Harbour this year!

And, apart from one deluge the weather was quite kind.

Look out for a report and photo in the next magazine, and I'll attempt to upload some photos when I've ploughed through two days of works email.

cheers,
Scott
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Hayling Island Meeting

Post by Alacrity »

Yet again a great venue & great company. Seven boats showed up on Wednesday when the weather allowed us to circumnavigate Hayling Island this year, with ten boats present on Thursday including two new members. Rather embarrassingly for them both newbies suffered problem's, one serious, that could have been nasty. All turned out OK in the end so apart from some hard work & dented pride all should be well. :hmmm: There but for the grace etc. etc.

A big thank you to Ivan & HISC for organising the event & to everyone for mucking in & making the launch & recoveries easier & more fun! :thanks:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Carvalin

Post by Carvalin »

What a great day... despite the downpoor and engine :oops: failure (which started third pull when I got it home :grrr: )

Anyway, thanks to everyone for making it such fun, especailly to Ivan and of course the Jarrett family for towing us to the far end of Chichester harbour and back :thumbsup:

Great to meet you all

Andy

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Thanks to all - including my boatman and helmsman, who kept me company, while wisely choosing not to destroy his Yarecraft in some often seriously bumpy water, and thus allowed me to film the boats and watch my 50hp Mercury in action.

Will post videos when I get the chance...

The venue and the welcome we get at HISC is just great, although is a mid-week event, I don't hesitate at taking 2 days hols to play (even if the emails flood in at work).

It's always great to see selfless people helping out and apart from the small kindnesses shown, this rally stands out for the fact that Nigel P (with Merle and Keith in the Presidental Barge too) towed Carvalin all the way to Bosham and back, then another group stayed to help the damaged Healey 55 and it's owner onto dry land on the HISC side. The fact that either of those two actions means that a. you may not get to enjoy the boating while towing b. your missus and family will see you much much later than expected, does just not occur to those helping out. Thanks chaps.

My hope is that we haven't scared off the recent members with our ribald humour and an impression of complete mayhem. So, look forward to seeing everyone again.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Id like to echo the thanks above to Ivan and the club, what a great place to be and in such good company.
Next year I will hopefully have a more suitable boat, although I was hoping to pick up the "Best static" prize this time.
Thanks also to my driver for the event. I enjoyed a realy good blat and slam without fear for my life. looking forward to seeing the photos, some i'm sure should be quite spectacular in particular a Broom playing moses and parting the waves.

Thanks to all for a great event and good company.

DH

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

It's always great to see selfless people helping out and apart from the small kindnesses shown, this rally stands out for the fact that Nigel P (with Merle and Keith in the Presidental Barge too) towed Carvalin all the way to Bosham and back, then another group stayed to help the damaged Healey 55 and it's owner onto dry land on the HISC side. The fact that either of those two actions means that a. you may not get to enjoy the boating while towing b. your missus and family will see you much much later than expected, does just not occur to those helping out. Thanks chaps.
Well said Nick.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

Got to:

http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.pett/ ... IGxtZaVrQE#

To view some of the photos.

First one was taken using my phone up against the club telescope - hence lousy quality. The stricken Healey has been turned round ready to relaunch.

I'll put some more up later, so keep rechecking,.

Cheers,
Scott
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *

cowsail
CMBA Member: 52

Post by cowsail »

a great 2 days with fine weather for a c.m.b.a. meeting.my thanks to ivan et al for their organization and from me to steve for getting my (new to me ) engine running sweetly.one last query did anyone else come upon a zulu distributing baulks of wood to o.a.p.s on the motorway?

assegai
CMBA Member: 0

Post by assegai »

Thanks to Ivan and HISC for a good day, bit bumpy on Chichester Bar but club bar fine. Yes I lost my bits of wood which I used as packing to stop the straps marking the varnish. I dont know where they went, hope they arent in someones radiator grill.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Hayling Island Meeting - Videos

Post by Rapier »

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...