To pulpit or not to pulpit?!

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

To pulpit or not to pulpit?!

Post by broompisces »

Hi there,
My Broom Pisces has just started an extensive refurbishment programme - parts have been sourced over the past year; new (old!) instruments, new windscreen, all deck fittings re-chromed etc. Here's my dilemma; do I keep the bow pulpit on or take it off? I want to keep the boat as original as possible, but I think it looks better without the pulpit. If I take it off and decide later on to put it back on, there’s no problem with that. There is of course a problem with deciding to take it off later and then leaving holes in the deck! I attach some amateur "with and without" images. Has anyone any experience of owning / seeing a Pisces without the pulpit? All views welcome. Incidentally, BroomBroom has already given me invaluable advice reference sourcing various items to aid the refurbishment; decking, rubbing strake etc. - many thanks for that!
Attachments
without 2.jpg
without 1.jpg
with 2 orig - Copy (2).jpg
210520081096 - Copy.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: To pulpit or not to pulpit?!

Post by Rapier »

Hi, nice looking Pisces. I'm a traditionalist, it looks nice with the pulpit; for a boat with such straight lines, it adds a 'swoop' to it. Is very useful when slipping the boat, but yours is on a mooring I see.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Personally, to my eye, it spoils the look of the boat with the pulpit fitted. I Much prefer it without. So there you are still no further ahead with making your mind up! :?
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Welcome aboard Ian - good to see you here!

I've always thought the pulpit/bow rails on the Pisces didn't look as elegant as those found on the Saturn/Scorpio. I'm sure John Broom's could knock a pair up for you (be prepared for a hefty bill though :shock: ).
That said, they are original and right for the boat and as Rapier says, they are very handy to grab! So personally I'd probably leave them on. You may also find the removal is no simple matter - ask anyone who has been doubled up trying to get a spanner on the rusty nuts up inside the pointy end :lol: .

But... if you prefer the de-pulpitted look and can face the task go ahead and pull them - just make sure you keep them in a safe place!

Cheers

Robin
Attachments
Elegant curves...
Elegant curves...
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

without.....

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Gentlemen,

Things have moved on a bit since the last images - please see below!

Robin - I know exactly what you mean about crawling up under the foredeck having removed the bow plate!

I tried to remove the pulpit but the threaded rods and nuts were too badly rusted.

My boatyard are going to attack the rods from within with a grinder or similar and make good any fibreglass collateral damage thereafter.

I think I'm going to leave the pulpit off and have the option of re-fixing later on. I think that's preferrable to wanting it off once the restoration is complete!

Regards.
Attachments
100520091667.jpg
100520091665.jpg
100520091664.jpg
100520091657.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

That's an early one - what's she powered with? 120 Mercruiser?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Yes, it's a 120hp mercruiser.

I remember distinctly seeing it in Clyde Chandlers in Glasgow in the early 1970's when it was for sale - it was, to my knowledge, the only one in Scotland.

It has been on Loch Lomond ever since with only three owners before me. I bought it a year ago and I am only now getting round to the refurbishment; right in the middle of the season!

Cheers.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Hi...Have just bought a Pisces with a pulpit...definately would advise against removing it...the reason being that we had a Scorpio which has much the same hull with the flare to the bow section and it was always a problem to get a fender in the right place as there is nothing to hang it from!...so I am looking forward to having the luxury of tieing the fenders to the pulpit rail. Cheers.
Growing up is optional...

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Hello Healey 75,

You make a fair point. I'm fortunate that whenever I tie up on Loch Lomond, it's nearly always with a bow line with the boat Trailing from the landing stage. Ill ponder this further...........!

Do you have any pictures of your new Pisces?

Regards.