those stupid trailer bearings

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: those stupid trailer bearings

Post by Alacrity »

Checked the Broom trailer before Beale Park - all OK. They hadn't been touched since Stewartby last Oct. The grease was dark grey in colour but other than that they were as good as new no sign of pure water in there at all. I don't fuss with mine, just check them a couple of times a year & haven't had any issues yet.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Had a wee bit of time on Sat at dads, so checked & cleaned & re-greased the bearings, been laying since Caediff last year :oops:

Caps off, milky grease :o , took apart washed in petrol and found all ok :D , so put back together & filled with grease :thumbsup: , ready for this years trip to Cardiff :wot: .
Attachments
003 (2).jpg
010.jpg
009 (2).jpg
007.jpg

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Post by knarloid »

T15,

After our recent chat on spare wheels - I have 2 spares with the same tyres as on that photo, so should be OK in case of any trouble on the way home.
They're 10" old mini wheels.
K

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

I'm a bit late catching up on this topic, but after multiple bearing replacements due to rusting, years ago, I decided to add grease from the gun each time before the trailer went in the water. the theory was that I'd fill the cavities with grease before the water got to them...and any water left would be worked out by heat on the way home.

This has worked for me - the Albatross hasn't had bearings changed now for about 10 or 12 years, and there were no problems with the raceboat trailer which sometimes went in a dozen times in a day.

Another trick is to cover the vent hole with tape before dunking, and pulling it off afterwards.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

twister wrote:I'm a bit late catching up on this topic, but after multiple bearing replacements due to rusting, years ago, I decided to add grease from the gun each time before the trailer went in the water. the theory was that I'd fill the cavities with grease before the water got to them...and any water left would be worked out by heat on the way home.

This has worked for me - the Albatross hasn't had bearings changed now for about 10 or 12 years, and there were no problems with the raceboat trailer which sometimes went in a dozen times in a day.

Another trick is to cover the vent hole with tape before dunking, and pulling it off afterwards.

Hi Rod, totally agree, I would gease the bearings before any trip, during the trip say every 75 miles, then at the end after allowing them to cool before the dip.......... I should NOT say this but have never had a problem with bearings ( to date!! am I leaving myself open for a "mug of the day" prize :oops: :oops: )

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

I started a thing here, its nice to see not only I take precautions! I suspect mine would have been fine but I just feel white/grey grease has water in it so for longer term winter lay ups at least is best cleaned and redone. It is not a long task and can be done in half an hour each side if planned sensibly.