Good Luck 73Miss

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

yogibear

Good Luck 73Miss

Post by yogibear »

I hope you will all join me in wishing 73Miss a safe journey on the coming Bank Holiday Monday. It will be not only his maiden solo voyage but also the first time his other half has ventured into a boat with him since he almost hammered her through the hull of a previous craft when the mast broke and landed her a blow that would have fractured the skull of any normal woman!

Sadly her nautical lack of trust is not misplaced. A catalogue of damaged limbs and fingers becoming at one with the rigging over the previous years had forced poor Julie to embark on a stance of self preservation and a total ban on anything that floats.

And so to next Monday. A tale of such daring do may never be witnessed on these hallowed pages again.... Our intrepid Delta owner is intending to take poor Julie out on the river for the day! Yes, you heard me right, not a quick trip but the whole day. Nope I can't believe it either. No rescue boat in attendance, no tow rope, no safety net, no plan B just a full days cruising :o

There is rumour of over 20 miles afloat intended as a lunch is planned at an establishment that cant actually be seen from the launch site :shock:

See, I told you you'd be amazed.

So - good luck Andy, just dont forget the paddles. By the time she's rowed back she'll be too knackered to shout at you ;)

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Re: Good Luck 73Miss

Post by 73miss »

Thanks for that Dave.

Its not all my fault that she got hurt on the long Burgess, the short Burgess, the Sillhouette saily thing, (at least twice) a windsurfer, laser, etc etc.

You are however correct and this is the first time on a boat with me for about 17 or 18 years. (apart from the cruise where she felt sick whilst we were still tied up at Southampton!!!) I need to make this an experience to remember for all the right reasons.

Boat is:-
polished and tarted - check
new sticky name badges in place - check
fuelled and oiled - check
shiny new lifejackets (matching - 2 for the use of) - check
Toll paid - check
paddles - Oh B/##%R - Hey ho though. The thing is not going to break so why bother with paddles!! Julie asked if we were likely to make it there AND back and I said Dave has assured me the engine is fine.
If you close your eyes I am sure you can recall the look on her face the last time either of us said "trust me" Not a pretty sight I can tell you.

Forecast is looking great though and I think she may actually be looking forward to it. A quick potter up to St Olaves for lunch and a slow relaxing journey back in the company of a nice bottle of something bubbly and I think I may even be forgiven for buying the boat and THEN telling her. I always get them two confused. Must remember - ask first and then buy - not the other way around!!

The other good bit about going on Monday is the racing is on. Who knows - she may even have mellowed enough to allow me to think about one more season!!! - After all, its where we first met. Me the handsome, debonair man about town, gentleman racer and all around nice guy. She, the not unnatractive pit lane groupie. Our eyes met across a jerrycan of two stroke mix, the sound of swearing echoing in the background as the starter motor fell from the 75 Johnson AGAIN.
And the rest is history!!!

That must have been twenty odd years ago and as I keep reminding her, as a girl from Beccles, if she hadnt met me, she would have been married to one of her cousins by now.
I think she understands how different her life would have been if it hadnt been for that fateful meeting all those years ago.

By the way - small boy is looking forward to Tues/Wed next week. He has already said that he should be the one to race you as he is lighter than me and should be able to go faster. Wonder where he gets that from???

Will let you know how things go but fingers crossed for a safe and enjoyable trip
Andy