Itchin and Scratchin run - May 24th

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Re: Itchin and Scratchin run - May 24th

Post by Mirak »

At the moment, we are not intending to be there. I'm off to Germany all next week so have a few things to do. Unfortunately.

Cheers,
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

Well, I'm gutted :cry:

Have managed to make some time available but even though I've driven close to 800 miles in the last two days none of then were anywhere near where my boat is currently residing and so its going to be a no show for old Yogi :grrr:

To help with my disapointment (and maybe because I spent some time in the garden doing a list of jobs 'er indoors had planned for me) I'm allowed to spend a couple of days being a nautical hooligan next week instead. Small compensation I know but any boat time is always welcome and on those rare occasions when it has the endorsement of those in charge it is seized with open arms.

Have a good one - weather looks perfect.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well yet again our Rapier's weather dance worked a treat, fabulous weather saw 5 CMBA boats launched at the Itchen this morning, two Shakey Mini Clubmen (Johnson 40 & Merc 402), one With Vital (Johnson 75 Stinger), one Pearly Miss (Merc 400) and one Stapely Hawk (Merc 115). A smart run down to the Hamble with some play on the way then a potter up to the Jolly Sailor for some welcome sustenance & a libation or two. Back to Soton water for more play & a look at the cruise ships then a race to get them all out before the water left us embarrassed at the slipway. All in all a terrific way to pass a sunny May Sunday, with no breakdowns or problems, many thanks to Nick for making it happen. :thanks:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Great run and company today - super weather courtesy of last night's chicken sacrifice, lots of wailing (fortunately no beating of breasts) and much sprinkling of Tennants Extra.

Was a bit more choppy out there than normal, so excuse the moving horizon in the vids..is not easy to keep a hand on the throttle, drive and take pics on one's ace.

Airborne boats follow at 50 secs on the second vid; you'll see the Harbour Master's heavy displacement launch 'hove' into view....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnVg_BYryuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br00zZxRLIQ
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

What a lovely gentle day down on the water... :wot: for the first 10 minutes. Southampton Water on a choppy day is certainly interesting in a litlle boat, still, on the Hamble, we were able to watch all the rich folks in massive cruisers and Ocean going super yachts, drinking gin as it should be drunk. :cheers: Nobody from Howards Way was in the Jolly Sailor, but at least it meant there was plenty of pontoon space. :lol:

Thanks for setting it up Nick, it was great fun in good company, let's hope we can go again soon. :thanks:

Al

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

Birthday blast, could I have asked for more! Thanks Nick for getting it together again on such a perfect weekend. As well as staying on our old barge we had a fab day with family and people we see too infequently but regard as good friends.

The diminutive little Shaky performed better than expected, with the whole family aboard, spare fuel, and the usual clutter. Still trimmed nicely down and I believe still just got the edge on Captain Tarry whilst running together down Sotton water :lol: as Geoff said "imagine how well it would go with a decent prop!" so I shall have to sort that out to keep it that way! although unfortunately I can't get the one on it off.

Thanks to all for help slipping out, more slick than my trying to start it and paddle off in a 6 knot ebb tide solo the day before after an easy launch off the trailer :oops: it drifted quicker than I could struggle clamber in, get in deep enough water to drop the long shaft leg with my weight on the stern and then to pull that damn rip cord..Oh for mins electric start.

Solution was to chuck the emergency anchor I carry over from a stern cleat until it was running!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I believe still just got the edge on Captain Tarry whilst running together down Sotton water
Thats Merc horses for you! :D That little 402 of yours really does purr alond nicely & sound sweet when burbling up the Hamble at 6knots.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!