Delta woes but still smiling :-)

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Delta woes but still smiling :-)

Post by 73miss »

Hi all

Having recently purchased my first boat for 16 years (Red Delta - Half Cut as advertised on E-Bay) the sun was out, the sky blue and all was right with the world. It seemed like the perfect day to try out the new toy. Launched at Oulton Broad and things were going very nicely thank you very much.

Then it started. Started with a bit of a leaky exhaust gasket, failure to hold a charge in the battery and then a misfire. This got progressively worse and I came to the conclusion that the boat should have been named "Half Cylinders" rather than "Half Cut"!!!
Now we were running on two cylinders, realistically it was game over and we made our way back to the slip and out of the water.

With the help of Yogibear, (who also had his Delta out) checks were made on the electrics, fuel and all sorts of other potential causes. A blown head gasket was diagnosed and the head was removed at the waterside. Thanks Dave.

I have only owned the boat for three days, had it on the water for less than two hours and now its in a pile of bits in the back of the car.

Despite all this (and coming back with a really bad case of sunburn) I cant stop smiling. Why is this?? Is there something about this boating lark that makes you grin like an idiot even though things are not going to plan?

I think we should be told.

Regards
Andy

yogibear

Re: Delta woes but still smiling :-)

Post by yogibear »

Somebody forgot to mention that within 150 yards of his first trip in 16 years he was also pulled over by the river police (blue flashing light and everything) and reminded that there was a speed limit of 6mph in force.

Of course Andy thought they were offering a challenge and spent the following seven hours trying his best to break said 6mph.... and failed :lol:

I only towed Half Pint, Half Power, Half Speed - nope can't remember it - back twice to be fair. On the third occasion I lent him my paddles and a significant performance improvement was witnessed by all.

Teething and shakedown issues aside, what a cracking boat. It has some really nice touches and so many parts from a Mk2 Cortina I suspect we will have to MOT it :hmmm:

We passed another Delta on the river Waveney on the day. A very good looking all white late model. The owner gave a friendly wave but didn't stop. If you're on here somewhere...

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Post by 73miss »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. At least mine kept all the water on the outside.

BTW - I took some pictures whilst we were out and thought you may like to see your Delta at rest. Must say it hasnt looked this good in ages!!

Cheers
Andy

yogibear

Post by yogibear »

Nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!

Someone's stolen my trailer.........

:D :D :D :D