Who's coming to Chertsey?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Who's coming to Chertsey?

Post by Rapier »

Hopefully my Jinx will be finished and painted by then; am battling with the elements, but birds, a leylandii hedge and myriads of small multi-legged insects are equal nuisances.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Who's coming to Chertsey?

Post by Alacrity »

Me Sir! I will be there bright & early to miss the M25 car park. :x Will be taking the Stapely :shock:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

WinnerCobra

Post by WinnerCobra »

what time can we get there. I think, (if I can get a vehicle with a towbar) will be delivering my Winner Cobra to its new owner.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I'm coming, looking forward to my first outing with a boat this year ( if it runs!). Although I reakon most will be queing for a ride in Geoffs missile :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

James, I got there last year about 8 - 8.30 but we (Ivan was there before me) had to wait for someone to get there with a key for the gated area we boat from. It isn't a problem though as you are off the road - take a flask & a sandwich!! :lol:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

WinnerCobra

Post by WinnerCobra »

OK thanks.. unfortunately I cannot spare much time to play (Friday is not a good day for me... sods law considering my business is in Chertsey!!) but will need to ensure new owner knows which way to point it... :wot:

I may even deliver it before 9am, leave it there and come back later to do "handover"... I assume it could be put somewhere it isn't in the way?

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Plenty of room there for Flighty, it won't be a problem.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

James and I will be there with "J82" our Jinx, hope it all works O.K. , first time out with this engine....!!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Looking forward to seeing that engine run...

Still unsure what I'll bring engine-wise. I managed to get the autobox 20 to run, was the spring on the float caught under the tang and stretched - would not run for long after I had straightened to marginally more than the 1.98mm spring length requested by the manual though; keeps cycling up and coughing. I need to hunt down a Tillotson KA series float and will reset the idle screw to 1 1/4 before trying again, then will need a lesson on impellor cartridge removal..it pumps under the hosepipe..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Yo People...I'll be there with Colliwobble, so at last we can form a convoy round the buoys instead of me chasing my own tail, I might have a float somewhere with me, I don't think these 200s are critical of fuel level (the engine is swinging about on the boat when in use anyway) more important is the mixture, set it up to run rich and hunt (loadsa smoke and uneven running) then lean it out just a bit, better a bit rich rather than weak. Sound likes it's running really weak, Check the slow running in gear on the water otherwise you can set it too slow and it will stall going into gear. I think I put a slow running stop screw on that engine originally, Mercs provide a hole in the butterfly stop but don't finish the job. Only way I could get mine to idle nicely. That engine should have a new float valve fitted so should run ok. That engine will start by flicking the flywheel between the palms of your hands when its set up right

That engine pumped water ok last time it ran BUT it's never had an impellor change as far as I know, I just bunged a power head on a spare mid section with a spare gearbox. I have the club extractor tool for the pump, I'll bring it along also I have made a tool to undo the nut on the bearing as well. Be prepared to remove the powerhead and break out the pump body if its corroded in, but it does come out with a hammer and drift...in little pieces. Oh and there are 2 sorts of pumps, very similar but different and upside down, suggest wait 'till you get it apart before chasing for spares. Its not a bad job to do just fiddly, follow the manual and take a good look at the clutch hair springs befor you take 'em out (thats if they don't make a bid for freedom when you take the cover plate off). See you Fri.

Have tried that engine on Colliwobble and it goes well at least as fast as the white one