Boat identification help please

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Boat identification help please

Post by Sicobra »

Boo05a.jpg
Boo04a.jpg
Boo12a.jpg

Having followed with interest the collective helping Neil to identify his new boat purchase I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the background to Boo? The only information I have, which may not even be acurate, is that she may have been built in the 1960's by a retired railway engineer in Nottingham. Like I said this may not be true but what I would like to try and find out is if she is an actual plan, kit built or manufacturer design and if so by who and when as she seems to have an older look than the 60's to me. She is ply on hard wood frame and I think she originally had a Perkins outboard on the back. Any idea would be very much apreciated, cheers, Simon

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Boat identification help please

Post by Rapier »

Here's a pic of it's original listing on ebay..think is a Perkins 18hp (but could be a 35) on the back. There were a lot of people building ply boats around the late 50s early 60s, both amateur and professional. I guess someone in the club may recognise. The speedo dates from around 59/60..is an aftermarket Truspeed I think and the glitter steering wheels (think were Aqua Marine) were popular through to 62/63, but to be honest they were also available off the shelf at chandlers up and down the country at that time and later.
Attachments
Runabout perkins.jpg
Runabout perkins.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Re: Boat identification help please

Post by Sicobra »

Wow, that was quick and the extra info regarding the steering wheel and speedo is very helpful, thanks Rapier. Do you by any chance have the details of the person who originally listed it on EBAY or any othe rpics when she was listed? It may be that if I can contact them that they may be able to provide some more detail. It would be nice to get a period engine for her as well so I will have to keep an eye out but I am not sure how big I should or could go without over stressing the hull. Thanks again, Simon :) :)