Bethamar/Shianne - Any Information, Please?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Gollywobbler
CMBA Member: 0

Bethamar/Shianne - Any Information, Please?

Post by Gollywobbler »

Hello everyone

There is a boat called Bethamar originally and later Shianne, which a friend has purchased recently. The boat is a motor sailer ketch, apparently, but she has twin Gardner diesels and I thought she was a Gentleman's Motor Yacht until I was told otherwise!

I'm female so I am no expert on construction, plumbing, engines, electrics etc. However I've been aboard Shianne and she is very pretty inside, plus the innards are very solidly built.

She was designed by WG McBryde and built by J.Adam & Son in Gourock, on the Clyde, in 1938. I am interested in trying to establish her history. So far, I have found out that she was called Bethamar originally but someone later changed her name to Shianne and registered her in Goole. She was built for Kenneth McLeod, who lived near the Clyde. At some stage, she was sold to Eric McLeod Gardiner who also lived near the Clyde.

I have also found out that Derek Arnold Smith owned her at one stage. He lived in Hebden Bridge, not far from Blackpool. The names Mr Robertson and Mr Sharples are also relevant according to various Lloyds Registers. The present owner has been told that the boat was definitely on "The Trent" in 1940. Hmmm, I'm wondering whether that means the River Trent or the Trent & Mersea Canal?

Please, can anybody tell me anything else that might help to flesh out these bones? Who was WG McBryde? Is there any information about him? What about the builders? They seem to have been yacht builders rather than shipbuilders but what became of their yard and when was it closed?

Also, do the names of the various owners mean anything to anyone, please?

Very many thanks

Gill

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Re: Bethamar/Shianne - Any Information, Please?

Post by puddleduck »

Hi Gill, not really our field of expertise! As a first stop visit the archives at the Scottish maritime museum www.scottishmaritmemuseum.org to trace the history of the builders, then send a letter with photo to Classic Boat Magazine www.classicboat.co.uk They are very keen on older wooden sailing boats and no doubt one of their readers will recognise your boat!

good hunting!

Chris,

Chairman, CMBA

HowardS

Post by HowardS »

Hi
My parents owned Shianne from 1963 until about1970. They bought her when I was 12 so have very happy memories of her. any information you think I might be able to help with please ask.
Howard

Scottykiwi

Post by Scottykiwi »

Hi there,

I have just finished watching a video of the launch of Bethamar at my father in laws house, which was converted from very old film. My father in law is the maternal grandson of Kenneth Macleod. The Bethamar was named after his two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret. If you are still looking for information please let me know and I will find out as much as i can.

Colin

Stevep

Post by Stevep »

When we bought our current home in Greenock, we found a small ship's bell in our basement , it has Bethamar and 1938 heavily inscribed on it. not sure if this was the original bell before the rename ? I would like to know a little bit more about Bethamar or to see any pictures which may show the bell in situ.

anglophil

Post by anglophil »

Hello SteveP,

I am the owner of Shianne ex Bethamar. She's in great condition. There are some pictures and description on the Register of National Historic Ships.
https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.u ... 43/shianne

If you still have the bell I'd like to buy it from you.

Thanks,
Phil
Attachments
IMG_7212.JPG