Towing my Boat to Italy

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Towing my Boat to Italy

Post by broompisces »

Hello,

I'm thinking about towing my 15' speedboat boat from mainland UK to Italy during the Summer.

I know it will be (in theory!) post Brexit, and there may be some uncertainties currently, but is there anything drastic I need to be aware of?

My trailer is a 18 month old Indespension braked one (boat and trailer are less that 700kg combined) and the trailer lights up like a Christmas tree with lights, reflectors etc.

The car is Mitsubishi Shogun with a 3000kg towing capacity.

I'm just looking for some advice along the lines of; "do not forget to do / take this" etc.

Any links to websites with a comprehensive checklist would be good.

Many thanks,

Ian.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Towing my Boat to Italy

Post by Rapier »

Reading through your blurb, your rig will be overkill. If going trough France take the normal kit required, hi-vis jacket, breathalyser kit, no radar detectors, GB sticker and headlights setup and I think the caravan speed limits apply but I've never worried too much on the autoroutes. Your trailer will be OK, for weight and tow, as long as it has a CE load tag, but some made prior to a certain date (2006?) don't need it. I take new indespension hubs and bearing kits with me, in case, and a usable spare to match the trailer, plus a puncture repair can, spare valves and a small inflator / compressor pump. If going via Switzerland you'll need a vignette for the trailer and your car, around £30 each. UK lighting boards are legal, some don't have fitted fog lamps, so make sure it has. Some tunnels / mountain passes are restricted for trailers / caravans, so check your route before.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Post by kwoffa »

Sounds like a great trip,
Obviously..machanical stuff for your boat and a few spares!
You wont have a problem towing however my concern would be for your trailer hubs...they are not expensive so a couple of those would be good.

My main concern would be...where to stop en-route i:e safe parking for your boat..and trailer...a good length of largish chain and an heavy duty padlock would be a must..along with other means of securing the trailer just in case you cant park up as one unit and need to detach the trailer..

I hope this help's and wish you good luck with it..something ive considered.

Mel.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

broompisces wrote:I'm thinking about towing my 15' speedboat boat from mainland UK to Italy during the Summer.

I know it will be (in theory!) post Brexit, and there may be some uncertainties currently, but is there anything drastic I need to be aware of?
Also, my travelling boat is SSR registered, but I take my RYA BP ICC and GJW insurance certificate. Generally both the Italians and Swiss apply common sense and allow visiting boats to use their lakes as long as they're 'registered' here. Take copies of all 3, as the local marina I moor in like the paperwork.

Not sure where you're going, but there are often 150-200m exclusion zones off the shoreline. Have fallen foul of a mullet-haired lothario, who thinks it's his god-given right to paddle his supb in the middle of the lake (no doubt in protest at our early morning beach-side waterskiing starts). Stay clear of hydrofoils, ferries and patrolboats, the former two do not give way. When you're out on the water keep an eye out for people who like to swim far out, that little floating black spot will typically be someone who has no concept of their own safety.

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

RYA ICC ..is that a requirement for Lakes ??? I have one and did not think it was a lake requirement ??

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Did you get your ICC in a lucky packet? ;)

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

As Rapier says, make sure you have all the documentation you have & make sure you have it with when on the water. If planning to ski you may need a ski pennant but a lot of this can vary lake to lake, I am familiar with Garda, Rapier with Como. On Garda you will need life saving equipment for all people on board even if not worn. Also a life ring with a light on it is a requirement but that may be related to the boat size, not sure on that one. Also a fire extinguisher - always a good idea anyway.

Plenty of lines, inc. one or two long ones as stern to mooring is the norm & you will need a long bow line to hold off to the mooring buoy. Anchor with 6 ft of chain and a long rope - Italian lakes get VERY deep!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

Dear all,
Thank you for your replies and advice.
A bit more "meat on the bones" for you...
Last August I spent 5 days in Bellagio on Lake Como on business.
I thought it would be great to take my boat there for a few weeks this summer.
I made enquires recently and I have reserved a berth in this small marina; http://www.nauticadomaso.it/en/
I know it's north of "the action" in Bellagio, but it's an easy 20 minute plouter down the lake in my boat. Also, I am happy to explore other areas on the Lake over two weeks or so. There are plenty of lakeside restaurants on the Lake that I want to exchange Euros for sustenance in.
As mentioned in my original post, my trailer is 18 months old - probably only done 20 miles on the road in total in that time. For the sake of a few quid, i'll take spare bearings, grease, grease gun etc. The trailer also has a spare wheel and tyre which came with it.
I also have many spares for my Mercruiser which I'll take with me and i'll get it fully serviced (impeller etc) before i venture to Italy.
Paperwork - insurance, RYA ICC etc, etc - i'll take a ring binder full!!
I've done some research as to what you need "on board" on the Lake - i'm sure it will never be checked, but a few hand flares, floating line and all other requirements will be to hand if an inspection is required.
Now the hard part... my boat is on Loch Lomond. My son and I will be towing it to Como. It's circa 600 miles from Loch Lomond to Dover. It's a further 700 miles or so from Calais to Como. Security of the boat is a concern, so we'll do both legs with no overnight stops. We'll take it very easy and gentle driving the journey.
I had visions of stopping in some French Travelodge for an 8 hour kip to wake up and find that the boat was nowhere to be seen! Hence, us taking our time and not having a formal overnight stop. We'll have coffee stops, power nap stops, comfort breaks etc. The trailer has an integral locking hitch, I also have a locking hitch cover and I have a wheel clamp.
Rapier - you are familiar with Como? When I was in Bellagio last summer, i didn't see any obvious jetties / berths for tying pleasure boats to for short times, but saw the ferry terminal which was busy by day. Is it easy to cruise up to these places and berth your boat? I'm happy to pay a docking fee if required.
I attach a few snaps of the boat and the trailer.
Many thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1367 copy 2.jpg
IMG_1108 copy 3.jpg
IMG_0468 copy.jpg

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Rapier wrote:Did you get your ICC in a lucky packet? ;)
Not sure why you feel Insulting me is clever....or even why you do it....You obviously have ian nferior complex of some sought, for your information The ICC was given to me by the RYA on completion of my yachtmasters several years ago !

Anyone can get it by joining the RYA and answering a couple of questions nowadays..it really is worthless..and really proves nothing..

Lets get this back on topic and move on.

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

broompisces wrote:Dear all,
Thank you for your replies and advice.
A bit more "meat on the bones" for you...
Last August I spent 5 days in Bellagio on Lake Como on business.
I thought it would be great to take my boat there for a few weeks this summer.
I made enquires recently and I have reserved a berth in this small marina; http://www.nauticadomaso.it/en/
I know it's north of "the action" in Bellagio, but it's an easy 20 minute plouter down the lake in my boat. Also, I am happy to explore other areas on the Lake over two weeks or so. There are plenty of lakeside restaurants on the Lake that I want to exchange Euros for sustenance in.
As mentioned in my original post, my trailer is 18 months old - probably only done 20 miles on the road in total in that time. For the sake of a few quid, i'll take spare bearings, grease, grease gun etc. The trailer also has a spare wheel and tyre which came with it.
I also have many spares for my Mercruiser which I'll take with me and i'll get it fully serviced (impeller etc) before i venture to Italy.
Paperwork - insurance, RYA ICC etc, etc - i'll take a ring binder full!!
I've done some research as to what you need "on board" on the Lake - i'm sure it will never be checked, but a few hand flares, floating line and all other requirements will be to hand if an inspection is required.
Now the hard part... my boat is on Loch Lomond. My son and I will be towing it to Como. It's circa 600 miles from Loch Lomond to Dover. It's a further 700 miles or so from Calais to Como. Security of the boat is a concern, so we'll do both legs with no overnight stops. We'll take it very easy and gentle driving the journey.
I had visions of stopping in some French Travelodge for an 8 hour kip to wake up and find that the boat was nowhere to be seen! Hence, us taking our time and not having a formal overnight stop. We'll have coffee stops, power nap stops, comfort breaks etc. The trailer has an integral locking hitch, I also have a locking hitch cover and I have a wheel clamp.
Rapier - you are familiar with Como? When I was in Bellagio last summer, i didn't see any obvious jetties / berths for tying pleasure boats to for short times, but saw the ferry terminal which was busy by day. Is it easy to cruise up to these places and berth your boat? I'm happy to pay a docking fee if required.
I attach a few snaps of the boat and the trailer.
Many thanks!
You sound as if you have everything covered ! Well done. i look forward to hearing about it on your return..Good Luck.