National Outboard Collection ( Ex Basildon Museum)

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

BBC
CMBA Member: 37

National Outboard Collection ( Ex Basildon Museum)

Post by BBC »

Update on the status of National Outboard Collection:
Background:
Some years ago now, Members of the CMBA helped to salvage what we could from the National Motorboat Museum at Basildon when it's closure was forced by Basildon Council. In particular CMBA members assisted in the transfer of the collection of outboard motors (which included the "Bert Savidge Collection" and a number of outboards owned by John Crevald) to a disused nuclear bunker at Salcombe where they could be stored in reasonable conditions and shown to the general public by appointment or on open days at the bunker.
Members turned up to help at short notice, in wintry conditions and David Knight very generously provided transport for all of which Chris Kaye (Sec of the Friends of the Museum) and I were extremely grateful.
It seems only right to update CMBA members on what has happened since.
Recent events:
Whilst the arrangement at the bunker had been satisfactory, it all went sour when the bunker changed hands. The new owner was not sympathetic and was claiming large sums for rent without justification. I will not bore you all with the long and protracted wrangling that followed to retrieve the collection but to suffice it to say that it took the threat of legal action and a lot of effort on the part of the Savidge Family and Fast on Water as well as Chris Kaye and myself to resolve matters.
The Future:
The "Friends of the Museum" having been dissolved, the outboard motors are now in the custody of Fast on Water and are safely stored with the intention of displaying them to the public when they are able. Chris Kaye and I are very grateful to Fast on Water for agreeing to take on this historically valuable collection and look after it for posterity, under very difficult circumstances.
Best regards to all
Bill