Wheel and tyre deals?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Wheel and tyre deals?

Post by Tarquin »

Having just acquired a trailer from Ebay that on closer inspection needs a few quid spent on it, rather than mess around cleaning and painting the wheels i've been looking at the wheel and tyre deals available online.

Having received quotes in excess of 200 quid for 4 new tyres, fitted, and as the wheels have been kerbed a few times getting new one's seems the better option.

With 4, ply, 6 ply, varying weight allowances etc., I need a bit of advice as to which one's to get?

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Wheel and tyre deals?

Post by Rapier »

I find my local tyre guy is a great help, as there are so many options available. Sometimes they're able to source lower-priced asian tyres. Resign yourself to paying though, with a 4 wheel trailer... presumably with large diameter wheels..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Be wary of places like Towsure - their wheel/tyre combinations can appear cheap but wear out in 5 mins so not worth buying. Rapier & I found this out the hard way. :evil:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

I bought my rims from Western towing , I use maxxis 10" tyres (500kg each) never had problems. Just shop on Web and fit them yourself.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Rapier wrote:I find my local tyre guy is a great help, as there are so many options available. Sometimes they're able to source lower-priced asian tyres. Resign yourself to paying though, with a 4 wheel trailer... presumably with large diameter wheels..
Only 10" wheels on it when I bought it.

To be honest I think the trailer has been thrown together 'to sell' so who knows whether they are the right size. A bit of an assortment of parts and a not entirely truthful description on Ebay.
1 of the wheels is marginally, about 3mm, narrower than the others, they've all been boshed over with silver paint, valves and nipples as well. Described as galvanised. It's not but the frame is in good order. Described as having new suspension units. Yes, probably newer but definately not 'new'.

It will stand me about £750 with new wheels, tyres and mudguards. Will put before and after pics up when sorted and maybe somebody can tell me if i'd have been better off buying new.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Alacrity wrote:Be wary of places like Towsure - their wheel/tyre combinations can appear cheap but wear out in 5 mins so not worth buying. Rapier & I found this out the hard way. :evil:
Thanks for the heads up....

Until now i've been trailerless so after many weeks trying to get something the right size, the right money and most importantly close enough to collect i've plumped for the one i've got.

I don't expect to be doing many miles (hoping to drop off hull with boat renovator 20 miles away) but when you say they wear out are you talking about the tread or that they don't survive well when standing? The latter being more of an issue at the moment.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

when you say they wear out are you talking about the tread or that they don't survive well when standing?
Tread wears out. I have worn a pair out in a season doing about 7 or 8 CMBA events. Not good.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Ok thanks...

Last question..........

I've spoken to the guys at Western Towing who have two suitable wheel deals using Maxxis Trailermax tyres (I already have one so this appeals as i'll save a few quid) Now the choice is down to 4 ply or 6 ply, dependent on the weight of my boat and I haven't a clue. It's a 13' speedboat?

The recommendation is to go for the lighter 4 ply 325kg tyre if appropriate, for a better ride? Am I overly concerned? Price is pretty much the same.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Depends on the weight of the boat, motor, trailer & the normal bits & bobs (fuel etc) that is carried in the boat.