Trailer axle

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Trailer axle

Post by Spindrift »

I was just wondering if anyone has ever upgraded the axle and running gear on a trailer.

I have a Snipe break-back trailer with un-braked stub axles on a single leaf spring. I don't feel entirely comfortable with this arrangement, so have been vaguely wondering if this could be changed for a couple of Indespension units. Then I thought, if I'm doing that, how about fitting braked hubs and changing the tow hitch? After all, what is Ebay there for other than to indulge wacky ideas? At this point, however, it's probably cheaper to buy a new trailer, but if anyone has ever upgraded, braked or otherwise, I would be grateful for your thoughts and feedback.

OK, back to Ebay.....
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Re: Trailer axle

Post by Pete54 »

I've not added a braked axle but have carried out a number of 'changes'. Buying the parts from Ebay does make this sort of thing pretty straight forward. There are alternatives however, my car trailer has new flexible brake cables and brake shoes made up by my local motor factor as we could not identify what the original parts came from.

Your posting struck a chord though as I have a Snipe trailer I'm intending to use for my Pearly Miss. Closer inspection of the data plate shows that it is only rated to 400 odd kilos - which rather surprised me and means that I'm going to have to be careful keep within its limitations. I suspect the main spar is 'good' for a lot more but the plate suggests otherwise....

Best of luck

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I've had 4 of these Snipe trailers over the years. My opinion is they're superior to the Indespension suspension versions, although there was some discussion awhile back about metal fatigue in the leaf springs. When they're not loaded they tend to have that strange VW Beetle type camber. They do tow nicely, transom support is good with that rear adjustable frame and the break-back facility helped once when I was left high and dry at a tidal slip with a drop at the end & was unable to submerge it deep enough. Mine were unmodified except for the hitches which I prefer a basic trigger - lift handle type version to Bradley, or the awful earlier versions requiring thumbs, or fingers, to release the catch while pulling on the handle. Ditto hitches with locks that require same... Parts support for the Snipe has been a problem, with some members.

I would absolutely avoid braked hubs unless the law requires them.

Pete54, don't worry too much, dry weight of the Pearly Miss with appropriate motor is about 160kgs (GRP decks might be higher..) should still leave you with plenty margin?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

I've been looking at the Trailer Tek site tonight and they do a suspension kit centred around a pair of Peak 750Kg units, including hubs that would take the existing wheels. They are un-braked, but I think I would still be within the law using my current vehicle (I need to find a weighbridge somewhere near Maldon). The idea of fitting braked hubs is simply pandering to my own paranoia around towing safety!

That cross spar on the trailer will certainly take the Peak units, though drilling a total of sixteen holes for the mounts could be interesting. The rear adjustable cradle has effectively been taken out on my trailer and replaced with rollers, but the trailer came with the old bunks and threaded-rod legs - which it seems had to be cut away with an angle grinder as they were so corroded - so using those as a template I will simply knock up a new set.

So much to do, so little time.

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

For what it's worth about 40 years ago I had a Snipe trailer with the said springs.
The bearing was held on by a circlip.
Driving down the A1 one day I saw a wheel coming past me.
The wheel was mine, had hit something and bounced the circlip off leaving the bearing free to pop off at the next opportunity.
It would have been sensible to have either a split pin or the end of the shaft drilled and tapped.
Hey ho.
Diomedea

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Diomedea wrote:For what it's worth about 40 years ago I had a Snipe trailer with the said springs.
The bearing was held on by a circlip.
Driving down the A1 one day I saw a wheel coming past me.
The wheel was mine, had hit something and bounced the circlip off leaving the bearing free to pop off at the next opportunity.
It would have been sensible to have either a split pin or the end of the shaft drilled and tapped.
Hey ho.
Diomedea
I am pleased to say that the bearings on my trailer are held in place with a castellated nut and a split pin.

Phew!

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Post by Pete54 »

Using this site may save a trip to the weigh bridge. http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#123. Alternatively more modern vehicles have the max train weight on the VIN plate.

I suspect that the capacity of many off these trailers is pretty 'flexible'. My Snipe rated for 400kg looks substantially more robust than my Albatross trailer - which is supposedly 600kg. But as you say the Pearly Miss should not threaten the 400kg, so long as I resist putting all those things you really need in the boat!