Trailer transfer escapade

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Trailer transfer escapade

Post by Rapier »

The thought of 2 trips to the slipway, clammy rubberwear and a bitterly cold wind put me off doing the sensible thing to transfer the Pearly onto it's new trailer. I fell back onto a tried and trusted one-person method. Remove jockey wheel, hitch and winch post of the current trailer, chock wheels when both trailers are close enough, winch boat over and Bob's your Auntie. Except there are always snags involving calling neighbours, difficult bolts and putting it all back together. The old was a trusty well-built trailer and with the cost of new trailers, or manky looking nth hand versions, I wish I had the space to keep it for the times when that 'barn' find happens, but I don't.. :hmmm:
Attachments
Picture 1048 (Medium).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Trailer transfer escapade

Post by floater »

Great minds...
I too have spent some time this weekend on trailer work, welding on new side rails. I discovered rot when i re-positioned the bunks, re-tightened the clamps and the box section collapsed! All fixed now though. I did both sides but discovered that the other side was perfectly sound. The trailer came with the boat and is I imagine a home built, but to a good standard so worth fixing.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Is this on the Mustang's trailer? Mine are all un-garaged which doesn't help.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Yes the Mustang trailer. I don't think living outside is the problem, the boat being sat on it shelters it quite well. It had rusted from the inside so I think water has seeped in a small gap in the weld while launching and over time worked its magic. The Yarecraft sits on a trailer I built about 20 years ago which is all bolted together. It lives a charmed life sat in the garage but mostly used more like a skip filled with all manner of junk.