David Porritt RIP

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

David Porritt RIP

Post by Alacrity »

I thought I would flag this up:-

The Passing of an Albatross Legend !

It’s with great sadness that I was informed to day of the passing of David Porritt. David will be well known to many of you that have been on Windermere he was often seen zipping around in his Climax Albatross Albi . David was always very welcoming to us and a life time albatross fan. Having started off with a Mk3 that he trailed all around Europe often holidaying in the south of France with her back in the day, before buying Albi from her first owner in the late sixties . David was a keen racer and he and Albi were known as the fastest Combo on the lake. David joined us at Oulton broad in 2014 and that was to be his last race in Albi . Over the winter we did a ground up restoration on her for him and delivered her back to Windermere , David was unable to race with us at Windermere this autumn being on holiday so kindly offered Albi for me to be able to race , as well as opening up his boat house for us to use as a base on the race day. David will always be remembered as a true gentleman with a heart of gold I am so glad to have known him and he will be best remembered for flying along in Albi on the lake! He leaves his wife Penny and two sons. There will be a service on Friday the 6 of November at midday in Windermere .
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!