Breakdown recovery

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Breakdown recovery

Post by floater »

Some time ago there was discussion on the forum about weather trailers are covered under a vehicle recovery policy. The answer from most seemed to be that if a car towing a trailer breaks down then the car and trailer both get recovered, however if there is a problem with the trailer alone then most providers will not recover it under the policy and will charge.

I have just called my recovery provider Britannia Rescue on an unrelated matter so took the opportunity to check if my trailer is covered, turns out it is. I asked specifically if there is a problem with the trailer alone and the car is healthy will the trailer be recovered? answer Yes :thumbsup:

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Re: Breakdown recovery

Post by Bronteboxer »

I missed the original discussion, but would add that as a touring caravaner in the past, I had the caravan recovered no questions asked by the RAC, when a caravan hub disintegrated on the M1.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Same applies with the AA - I had an empty (ebay) boat trailer recovered and taken to my house with a broken axle, but was informed at the same time that they will not attend trailers with flat or damaged tyres unless you have a serviceable spare.

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

Post by chriscraft »

Prior to my recent trip to France I enquired with my car insurance co. if I had breakdown cover for Europe the very pleasant lady in the NFU Mutual York office informed me that I did but only the usual fix it on the road side or tow to the nearest garage, not ideal in France .I further enquired if they did complete repatriation cover for both car and trailer back to my home from anywhere in Europe, after a bit of digging she rang me back with cover proposal for my single trip (14 days) car ,boat , trailer and passengers all delivered home for £35.00 extra premium on my existing policy, I snapped their hands off !!!! :chuffed: ps didn't need it but worth it for peace of mind. contact NFU mutual agent Palmer and Dawson Clifton moor York speak to Helen 01904 275 682 tell them I sent you ??
that bloke up north !