Potential Hop Run

Please list all non CMBA events here. These are not official CMBA Events and the CMBA accepts no liability for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided herein.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Potential Hop Run

Post by Rapier »

Was talking to a non-CMBA rib-owning mate last night about a potential fast (where allowed..) run from Putney Hard to the Thames Barrier, or Dome and back, with lunch near enough to the start of the return journey.

It's a long, very busy and at times quite rough river trip, but the views from the water are great. There are tides / safety & rescue boat implications for a multi-boat run that will need finalising beforehand, but we were thinking about August 17th/18th or 24th/25th as the earliest date. The Sunday dates will allow us all to find parking for cars and trailers, as it'll be quieter and less chance of restrictions

Anyone (with suitable boats) interested?

http://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk/leisureMap.cfm
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Potential Hop Run

Post by Alacrity »

Yes, I'm definitely interested. We had contact from the Greenwich sailing club offering their place as a base whilst at the London Boat Show a couple of years back, I have their details at home. Just a thought. Plenty of trailer parking & a slipway - not all states of the tide but I doubt many are down there. See here, click on 'About' then 'View our Club' for info & piccy's.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Have always fancied a cruise up town but a sightseeing boat trip a couple of years back in a lumpy Thames put me off going it alone so a cruise in company would be great. :thumbsup: I'm in.

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Count me in - would prefer 24th/25th August though.

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

I don't think my boat would be any good for this one but it sounds like an interesting run... I wouldn't mind crewing for someone if there is a spare seat going?
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Hi - Sounds like a good idea - It may be worth someone contacting PLA, they were always very helpfull with our London - Calais-(Brighton/Ramsgate) races and would send someone along to give a short briefing and some useful advice on barrier procedure, shipping movements radio channels etc - I think they would like to be informed even if it's not a race.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

I'm interested, I spoke with Greenwich Yacht Club at the LBS and they were really keen to host something, room to park, launch and their clubhouse, well worth following up. Alacrity has the contact info.
Growing up is optional...

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Sounds awesome, great views etc, but seeing as my Healey 75 is so low in the water and with that part of Thames being busy and possibly rough/choppy I dont think my old girl would be suitable ... :cry: ... had a few green bits (or in this part of the river .. brown :shock: ) bouncing off the bow completely missing the windscreen and ice cold water landing in my lap too many times in the past :hilarious:

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Rapier,

Is this likely to go ahead ?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

He is waiting on me phoning Greenwich Yacht Club, I will try to get it done this week.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!