Pearly Miss and a Good Boat Windscreen supplier

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Pearly Miss and a Good Boat Windscreen supplier

Post by solitaire »

Not that old chestnut again :heat:

My pearly Miss (like the majority of eBay boats) came without a windscreen, and being a tad naive on the matter, I thought it wouldn't be a problem to get one - Yes they are available in the UK - at over £300 just for the bent perspex - and without the alloy surround - (I thought the Sheriff of Nottingham was a fictional character :pirate: )

Luckily I stumbled across this website, http://bootsscheiben.de/Home/tabid/1401 ... fault.aspx, I corresponded with a guy called Mario Eckstien - his english isn't bad but I wrote in engilish and used Google translate to copy to German and paste in any emails I sent, I told him what I wanted - emailed some photo's with the width, height and curvature of deck,
Mario sent pictures back with his proposal within a couple of days, we agreed a price and a couple of weeks later my screen arrived from Germany in an extremely well made box and it fits beautifully :thumbsup:
It's 5mm, has the alloy surround fitted - It came with a spare piece of perspex and some instructions to practice drilling before attacking the real thing, I intend fitting it with some Taylor-Made fittings I got from a boat jumble - and now just need to locate some White screen to deck profile in the UK (if anyone has a source can you please let me know)
My total invoice for a 125cm wide screen with alloy surround and shipping came to 280 euro's - (around £230) :chuffed:
Just a few pictures of the process
Measurements
height 2.JPG
screen 1.JPG
screen box.JPG
fitted 1.JPG
screen fit 1.JPG
NEED SOME OF THIS -- :hmmm:
profile.JPG
Last edited by solitaire on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Re: Windscreens

Post by VivaSportiva »

Try www.woodenclassics.com based in Holland near Amsterdam, I got mine from them not the speediest operation in the world took about three weeks I think you require Item No 100681 Rubber Profile Ivory Windscreen Glass Base and it can be ordered on Sales @ woodenclassics.com hope this helps.

solitaire

Re: 1st Class Boat Windscreen supplier manufacturer!!!

Post by solitaire »

Thanks for your input - but Mario has seen my post and been in touch, - he has stock of the windscreen profile and fixings at much less cost than any UK or USA supplier :woo:
001.JPG
Scheibenhalter 4 (1).JPG

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Great post Andre & a very good find. We need to get him to advertise in our magazine (due with you any day now folks!).
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire

Post by solitaire »

Just to round off this subject , - I have just completed the screen installation with the new deck profile and some Taylor-Made (USA) NOS fittings - I think the result is very smart (It may not be original, but they were really flimsy). This one a good strong job (5mm) - and a credit to my new found German screen manufacturer.
The total restoration of the outfit (everything you see except the motor) - (boat, trailer, seats, screen deck fitt's, paint, varnish, controls etc.) cost less than £600
I recovered £175 from the sale of the "ropy" trailer and seized 18hp Evinrude that came with the boat originally - and used up a lot of old stuff I had kicking around the garage - All of the Mahogany (seats and transom) came from some eBay bench tops/shelves, so It goes to show that classic boating does not need to cost too much.
The engine and controls are rigged be taken off easily so I can use one of my old white Merc Autotranies with it's period remote control on the river, - (probably the 10hp one will be enough).
The name "JOY" was the previous owners initials and I understand he purchased the boat "new" from Windboats.
River trials this week - :wot:
Thanks to eBay :thumbsup: Just need some seat cushions from the Garden Centre

In summary, -These PM's are a nice easy restoration job - (providing the hull hasn't been bashed about too much and has a lot of leaky rivets or holes) - the hull shape is very pleasing and from the PM website and Rapiers experience, it has good sea keeping ability.........There are a few improvements that can be made - personally I think deck on the deluxe model is pretty weak (early days for British fibreglass) - mine had osmosis and there is little or no strengthening behind many of the deck or screen fittings - all of which can be rectified with some glassed in ply backing pads - but the end result is a tough little"bash about" classic, which is (I guess) why they were, and still are chosen by so many hire fleet operates.
Joy 1.JPG
Screen 3.JPG
Screen 4.JPG
Screen 1.JPG
Screen 2.JPG
joy 6.JPG

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Re: Pearly Miss and a Good Boat Windscreen supplier

Post by water_buoy »

Top job, looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it on the water! :wot:
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

solitaire wrote:Thanks for your input - but Mario has seen my post and been in touch, - he has stock of the windscreen profile and fixings at much less cost than any UK or USA supplier :woo:
001.JPG
Scheibenhalter 4 (1).JPG
Hi just finished making template for my Moonfleet, but need some of this profile to finish it off, not sure if it will fit up against the profile behind the screen :hmmm: , has anyone got an off cut about say 6inches long for me to try and see ? many thanks for your help . :thumbsup:

Guy
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Pearly Miss and a Good Boat Windscreen supplier

Post by Guy »

Thank you for this post, my Delta has a homemade screen and I would like to replace it at some point although there is much to do first! I will certainly take a look at this chap you recommend. Your screen looks really good.