Albatross Alpine number 2003 restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Good buy

Re: Albatross Alpine restoration

Post by Good buy »

N
Last edited by Good buy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

intrested in the gearbox

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

2000, which is one of the Harrisons' three, was the prototype Albatross Alpine and would have been built in '61 (I believe) and that pre-dates a lot of the engine components. Certainly the parts I've dated are all later and if you post the engine number I can tell you the origin of the block too. :thumbsup:

My new toy is 2003 which I believe is the oldest surviving production model and differs in some respects from both the prototype and later boats - but then the Alpine was evolving all the time. For instance it has the Rootes Alpine Marine heat exchanger (which still carries some Albatross dark green paint) whereas I believe later models used Albatross's own.

The difficulty is that there appear to be none which retain the original engine or a period replacement. Every single one I've heard of has either the later five-bearing 1,724 (as that red one appears to be and as mine has at present) or an engine from another manufacturer or, sadly, is languishing with no engine at all. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but, as I've said before, I value originality and that is what I'm aiming to get as close as possible to before considering whether to carry out any period performance mods - as on my rally car which is also a 1,592 from 1961. Thankfully, I know these engines inside out from 44 years of ownership (and can bore for Britain on them. :giggle: )

If that exhaust manifold is representative of the tubular manifolds Albatross made up for the Alpine then I would appreciate some photos showing the water injection arrangement if possible please. :notworthy:
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Howstar »

That engine does look oringal it got the early sump and maybe the latter head

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

manifold
Last edited by Good buy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Howstar wrote:That engine does look oringal it got the early sump and maybe the latter head
Definitely a much later head from a 1,724 as the face where the spark plugs are is totally different. I can now see that the block is also definitely late '65 or later as it has the dipstick hole in the block. - I hadn't spotted that the engine has two dipsticks!! :giggle:

By the way, if anyone reading this has a 1,724cc engine from the Arrow range of cars (Hillman Hunters etc.) then the engine was originally canted over at 15°. When mounted in a boat, they have to be mounted upright by fitting the engine mounting plate from an earlier engine but this makes the dipstick read wrong. The answer is to use the dipstick from the earlier version of the 1,724cc engine which was mounted upright in the cars or, as in the case of that red engine, to use the sump from the earlier three-bearing engine and rely on that dipstick. The dipstick length on the marine version of the three-bearing engine is the same as on the automotive version.

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

I
Last edited by Good buy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Wasn't it you who had a go at me for criticising other people's boats? :hilarious: (I actually said it was a great boat - just explained why it wasn't what I wanted. :perfect: )

Yes, there is a fibreglass patch at the rear but I have a friend who is an expert aluminium welder. I gather this is a weak point on Albatrosses so we may reinforce it at the same time. The rudder has been re-manufactured in stainless. The engine cover has a lower hump than other four-seaters but it appears to be original as the original carbs have period air cleaners which are different from the standard ones and clear the lower hump and there is no sign of the hump having been modified or replaced. This is the earliest surviving Alpine apart from the prototype so it's very likely that they were still evolving and I prefer the line to the usual humps so will be keeping it unless there is any proof that it isn't original. The Rootes Alpine Marine Engine heat exchanger / header tank is original and present - something else which appears not to have been used on later examples. Actually there are two engines: the one fitted is a later 1,724 and there is also a genuine Holbay complete with the correct twin Weber 40DCOE carbs if I feel like going to over 110bhp the non-standard route and there's a third cylinder head. However, with my history in the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club it's no problem finding a 1,592 engine with the correct camshaft and the original inlet manifold and carbs for one of those are present. Seat bases are present and upholstery has already been arranged. Floors and the hole in the dash are no problem for my aluminium expert. I don't remember any fibreglass on the fuel tank which I think has already been changed but, again, no problem to repair. There is some filler on the bow but I have some practice at hammer-off panel beating and my partner's son will fit through the access hole with a dolly!! :giggle: One of the good things is that all the correct fittings are present including the nav. light and it even has a clutch mod if I wish to keep it and the original drive shaft if I don't. The trailer doesn't look great but it works.

When I bought my rally car, Fred Flintstone could have driven it. Less than a year later we beat Sir Stirling Moss in the Pirelli Classic Marathon so I have some experience of challenges. :thumbsup:

I believe the last Alpine so far found is 2027 but there are rumours of 2028 having surfaced. 2023 still pre-dates most of that red engine.

With only 28 (or 29) Albatross Alpines ever made, this mainly complete and original example of the rarest Albatross (other than the two-seater Alpines of course) is the best I'm ever likely to find. - Unless anyone knows better? :hmmm:

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Back to the questions:-

Upholstery: Can anyone detail the original material and colour options and does anyone have any photos showing the design, particularly of four-seaters even if not Alpines?

Steering wheel: I've heard it's a Ford Consul item but also that it's an Anglia item. Can anyone confirm?

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

R
Last edited by Good buy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.