Penta AQ110/100

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Penta AQ110/100

Post by petrolhead »

So we now have an AQ110 B18 block engine in bits needing plenty of work, plus the 100 drive it seems is seized...need to look into that further. But the assumed seized engine is now turning out the boat and the drive is not.
If anybody is good with these units I would welcome hearing from them for guidance, at the very least I will be seeking where to get rebore/engineering work done to the engine.
I would also like to source an exhaust manifold, the one on it looks very suspect now it is off....though not got to stripping and testing it. The elbow is still fixed, not seen into that yet.
Likewise if anybody has parts they no longer will need for themselves drop me a line, we will have a need for some.
Fortunately I have three old drives in various states for a spares source if needed.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Penta AQ110/100

Post by solitaire »

Please give me a call tomorrow Rapier has my number I know the boat (would have bought it if I had funds at the time) Hope I can help as worked for VP back in the day. Before you call. Does the block have volvo penta brass plate AQ**. I think it's a B18 Motor and what type of joint is on the drive Hardy Spicer, or R Zeppa constant velocity ???
The penta engines have a different cam. pistons. valves and springs to the car engine. The penta engines never ran on SU carbs fine for cars but useless for offshore because the alloy carb pistons hate salty air and get stuck open. PLUS when an SU leaks petrol - it leaks into the bilge!!! HENCE - USCG will only ever approve downdraft carbs that leak into the inlet manifold
Pls excuse spelling. old boy with I phone and old eyes

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Also a possibility that this motor may have some Ruddspeed high performance components fitted. any documents to support this?

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Have sent you a PM Solitaire :perfect: thanks.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Solitaire's your man Petrolhead, an oracle that one!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

yes alacrity...have spoken, need to get the lump back home to delve further...its not pretty :hmmm: