Archway?

Brochures, parts lists, articles, manuals and more - scanned and shared for your use and enjoyment.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Archway?

Post by Rapier »

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Archway?

Post by se7en »

No, thats a Kelvins 'Black Flash' the 12' 6" model, its a glass hull and a wooden deck, someone has painted this deck, and it has the steering on the port side, most had it on the starboard, but you could have it anywhere you wanted....wow... that takes me back, my dad bought one of these when I was 12......50 or so years ago..!! I think it has aged better than me...!! :giggle:
It also looks like it has the original Perkins engine , we had a Gale on ours, but Perkins used a couple of 'Flashes' as promo boats, so quite a few finished up with perkins engines, that didn't help very much, I think a lot of people thought they were part of perkins.
My Boss at Crescent Marine back in the 60s Raced one of the 14' 6" versions with a Carniti engine, ( another poor quality engine..!!)in those days Crescent didn't have any engine bigger than 9hp, so Crescent in Sweden didn't mind as it didn't conflict with any of there motors, in the 1963 Putney-Calais race the thing blow its self to bits half way back to Ramsgate, I have a lovely photo of him being towed in, I'll try to upload them....... :giggle: its just as well I no longer work for him ,he would most likley 'get the hump' , especially as the same boat, the following year, fitted with a V4 75hp Evinrude won its class, this time with our sales manager at the wheel............that was always a sore point ..............Happy days................. the first photo shows them leaving Ramsgate after there compulsory stop, the second shows them being towed back 6 hours later........ :giggle: sorry, the other way round :oops:
Attachments
images_britishpathe_comCA8SFK08.jpg
images_britishpathe_comCAY50345.jpg

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

se7en wrote:No, thats a Kelvins 'Black Flash' the 12' 6" model, its a glass hull and a wooden deck, someone has painted this deck, and it has the steering on the port side, most had it on the starboard, but you could have it anywhere you wanted....wow... that takes me back, my dad bought one of these when I was 12......50 or so years ago..!! I think it has aged better than me...!! :giggle:
It also looks like it has the original Perkins engine , we had a Gale on ours, but Perkins used a couple of 'Flashes' as promo boats, so quite a few finished up with perkins engines, that didn't help very much, I think a lot of people thought they were part of perkins.
My Boss at Crescent Marine back in the 60s Raced one of the 14' 6" versions with a Carniti engine, ( another poor quality engine..!!)in those days Crescent didn't have any engine bigger than 9hp, so Crescent in Sweden didn't mind as it didn't conflict with any of there motors, in the 1963 Putney-Calais race the thing blow its self to bits half way back to Ramsgate, I have a lovely photo of him being towed in, I'll try to upload them....... :giggle: its just as well I no longer work for him ,he would most likley 'get the hump' , especially as the same boat, the following year, fitted with a V4 75hp Evinrude won its class, this time with our sales manager at the wheel............that was always a sore point ..............Happy days................. the first photo shows them leaving Ramsgate after there compulsory stop, the second shows them being towed back 6 hours later........ :giggle: sorry, the other way round :oops:

good one.... :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Not sure where this pic in my archives came from? Is this the 14ft 6" version?
Attachments
KELVINS_BLACK_FLASH__1964_.jpg

se7en

Post by se7en »

Thats the same boat , a year later after a refit with the 75 V4 fitted, extra spray rails fitted,bigger screen,and a repaint,never looked as nice as before, but more pratical for cross channel racing, the guy at the helm is my old manager Bertie Rouse,not sure, but it may be Dougie Norvil in the other seat.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Lovely bit of history - that must be a 'fast fisher' by now. I didn't see the Perkins orginally - most surprising is still on it..Saw a few Carnitis in Italy including these two that would make really lovely bar ornaments...check out the period cutaway tank too.
Attachments
Picture 033 (Large).jpg
Picture 032 (Large).jpg

se7en

Post by se7en »

My bosses 40 Carniti looked like the second photo..........but it did it to its self..!!!!! :giggle: It didn't matter in so far as the engine was owned by the carniti importer, and lent to my Boss Ivor for the race, John Rand was the importer, John Rand is credited with being the navigator in the 2 photo's I put up, but thats not him, the guy in the photo next to my boss Ivor fairbank is Tony Clark, the brother of a well known circuit of the time Roy Clark..........they were good times.. when anybody could have a go if your boat passed scrutinering, and suppiers would loan you boats and engines, all engines were supposed to be stock, (most were) to give every one a chance,..........the difference between a winning team and the rest was the ability to read a map..!! ........most couldn't..!!.... and would follow who they thought new what they were doing..........I remember one year sitting in fog with the engine switched of so that we could hear the goodwins light ship's fog horn and get a bearing on it and seeing, or should I say hearing other competitors, some of them more than once, dashing about in all directions convinced they were going the right way............that was more fun than doing the race :hilarious:........it was a bit like a 'Carry on' film.....................Carry on....... Confussed.!!

catweazle
CMBA Member: 0

Post by catweazle »

se7en wrote:, dashing about in all directions convinced they were going the right way............that was more fun than doing the race :hilarious:........it was a bit like a 'Carry on' film.....................Carry on....... Confussed.!!
Sounds like some of the night car rallys we did ,happy days.