Albatross 4 Seater Slipper Stern

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

suicide jockey
CMBA Member: 755

Re: Albatross 4 Seater Slipper Stern

Post by suicide jockey »

petrolhead wrote:I love the slipper stern albatross. The 1725 Rootes engine is a good strong one, I have never had one in a boat but several in cars. I believe your boat has a Holbay motor which in the car had higher compression, different camshaft I think, certainly a pair of Weber 40 carbs and tubuler exhaust with different distributor advance retard/timing...quite tuned up in itself over the stock 1725 one. It was reputed (in the dim old claims days!) to put out around 120bhp, I had one in an H120 (120bhp!) Rapier Fastback with manual overdrive gearbox.

If your motor is not Holbay then that is the way to go tuning it! but the parts are sought after.
Thank you for your information...... I am just starting to learn about Jack Brabham and Holbay. I have a pair of 40's on a Holbay manifold. I think I will need to have a tubular S/S marine version of a 4 branch exhaust made for taking cooling water. Do you think the 120 engine had a mild cam?

Kris has already named the boat 'Swift' ---- inevitable, as the side valve 2 seater is called 'Swallow"
Plenty more boats in the sea!!!!!!

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Twister (Custom Covers) after much experimentation has just about perfected the original construction of Albatross upholstery - drop him a pm and I'm sure he'll send you details.

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

thank you puddleduck....... i will do. :thumbsup:

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Post by Scandal »

Hi

I have a Moonfleet which has the earlier 1592cc Sunbeam Alpine engine which does have some common parts and I do have some spares including a reconditioned starter, mechanical fuel pump, distributor and a Holbay aluninium rocker cover.

Let me know if any of the above are of use and good luck with the project :wot:

Al

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Hi, My son has a pair of weber DCOE 40s and manifold from a holbay H 120, they had a differant float chamber breather from the standard DCOEs ,if you need a set.

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Post by VivaSportiva »

Hi ,I was delighted to read that you had purchased my friends slipper stern Albatross which I feel sure will make a magnificent boat once completed. You sound very enthusiastic about the project and I wait eagerly to see the finished result and I know George the original owner will be very pleased that it has gone to a new owner who can put her back on the water. :perfect:

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

PM's sent to Scandal and Se7en

Thanks for words of encouragement..... Sportiva. I am hoping for a mechanical test soon and a water soundness check before christmas. "Swift" will be run as a rat look for a while, body restoration will be later I fear! Trailer restoration will sooner!!!!!! ;)

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

Scandal wrote:Hi

I have a Moonfleet which has the earlier 1592cc Sunbeam Alpine engine which does have some common parts and I do have some spares including a reconditioned starter, mechanical fuel pump, distributor and a Holbay aluninium rocker cover.

Al
Hi Al...... I am definately interested in the Holbay cover and may need other parts when I get this boat into my workshop this week!!!!

My phone numbers.... 01621 890085 ........07733 113738 cheers steve

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

Scandal wrote:Hi

Al
Hi Scandal....... Sorry I have not been back to you about the parts........ I have been busy assessing work required on the engine.

The good news is that the engine is not siezed but something is....... water pump or alternator? And the engine is the correct 1961 1600cc as fitted to the mark IIIa Sunbeam Rapier...... a Monte Carlo winning engine. It needs a decoke but otherwise seems fine. I will keep this engine stock but If anyone knows of a 1725 Holbay lurking in a shed that I could play with I would be very interested!!!!!!! :notworthy:

I will let you know on parts as soon as I can ascertain condition of starter etc.

steve

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

If you are refitting ancilliaries, I would strongly recommend (against the feelings of many on this forum) that you fit, where possible, modern ancilliaries such as starter, solid state fuel pump, alternator, solenoid, distributor etc. If you have a problem, they are easily and cheaply fixed by a visit to a local motor factor for over-the-counter, exchange/recon units rather than a classic dealer with prices to match.

I'll go for reliability over originality on minor bits.

R