Albatross 4 Seater Slipper Stern

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Albatross 4 Seater Slipper Stern

Post by se7en »

You are limited buy the shaft angle, high 30s- low 40s M.P.H., even the delta's had the same problem, the V6 was not that much faster than the 4 cylinder, it just got up to speed a bit quicker...!!

suicide jockey
CMBA Member: 755

Post by suicide jockey »

Alacrity wrote:One of our members, who is probably the UK's foremost Albatross expert, fitted a Fiat Panda engine to a 2 seater - it went like stink, but as Rapier says he couldn't use it flat out as she lifted her stern out the water. Having said all that, this was a 2 seater and the engine was a small alloy job that was far lighter than the (mainly) iron jobbies we are talking about here. Something to bear in mind though.
Yes, young Pete I suspect?

I am learning much from this discussion, I don't want rip her apart and I don't have much boat experience but most things will go a bit faster. Perhaps it would be better to improve the breathing of rapier engine etc? The boat measures 17' 9'' and is wider than the standard Albatrosses. She is a four seater. I am guessing that she weighs 50% to 60% more than a 2 seater runabout Alby?

Is it too simplistic to assume that ballasting the back end would help? :hmmm:
Plenty more boats in the sea!!!!!!

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

se7en wrote:You are limited buy the shaft angle, high 30s- low 40s M.P.H., even the delta's had the same problem, the V6 was not that much faster than the 4 cylinder, it just got up to speed a bit quicker...!!
Which way does the angle improve things? Does it need to be closer to parallel to water surface? I don't intend to alter it but I am interested in the theory.

I don't know at this point if Alpine has the same shaft angle as the runabout but they are side by side so I can check.

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

the fastest albatrosses are, i think, the final two seaters with the stage 3 tuned climaxes. David P's will do about 44-45 mph flat out, which is as fast as any of the V6 deltas made 20 years later. Dick B's tvr-engined jetboat is hairy, exciting (just like its owner, then!) but ultimately does not break that sort of speed either.

As discussed above, the limiting factors are not engine power but the hull design, the shaft angle and the size of the prop that can be squeezed in.

You could always try a small turbine....

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

Thats interesting....... Do you know the power out put of those last Alby engines?

The engine I have puts out 80 bhp and was designed in 1960. Its in a 18ft long wider, heavier boat that could have 4 adults on board.

I bet the Coventry Climax in its final tune was achieving close to that in a 2 seater.

45mph sounds good to me! :perfect:

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Well i am running a FWB climax 1465cc which i think is probably 90BHP in a two seater Albatross. And i have seen 44mph on the gps at 5300rpm and when i finerly find flat water i can take it to 6200rpm , so i was thinking nearer 50mph!!!!
P.S Even pete g's ford albatross did 41mph on gps at Somerby recently .

suicide jockey wrote:Thats interesting....... Do you know the power out put of those last Alby engines?

The engine I have puts out 80 bhp and was designed in 1960. Its in a 18ft long wider, heavier boat that could have 4 adults on board.

I bet the Coventry Climax in its final tune was achieving close to that in a 2 seater.

suicide jockey

Post by suicide jockey »

A series wrote:Well i am running a FWB climax 1465cc which i think is probably 90BHP in a two seater Albatross. And i have seen 44mph on the gps at 5300rpm and when i finerly find flat water i can take it to 6200rpm , so i was thinking nearer 50mph!!!!
P.S Even pete g's ford albatross did 41mph on gps at Somerby recently .

suicide jockey wrote:Thats interesting....... Do you know the power out put of those last Alby engines?

I think it did 42....... I was in it at the time!!!!!!!

By that reckoning then I will need 120bhp plus to keep up with you in an 18ft'er version :notworthy:

50 is the new 45!!!!!!! :D

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Most of the climax engines are 1220cc and produced 83hp when new - I guess substantially less 40 years later.

As with many things, once these boats get to a certain speed, you need a huge and disproportionate increase in hp for a small top speed increment.

Sandymac

Post by Sandymac »

Was this boat George murrays?

sandy

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Post by VivaSportiva »

Hi Sandymac ,Apologies for the long delay in replying and yes this was George Murray`s boat.