50's runabout project, very sound, new pics

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

50's runabout project, very sound, new pics

Post by petrolhead »

We have decided to rationalise our fleet and this little beauty overlaps the use of our broom Viking so is sadly going to go. This is an early preview for forum users before I put it up for sale properly so drop me a PM if you have an interest.
If you fancy an inexpensive little project craft which will be both beautiful and rare (unique?) this could be for you. 11' 8'' long, very light, if you want a 40 knot sea boat dont bother! If you fancy a lovely craft for flatter water and rivers this is fine and a full 4 seater. The original family I got it from lake raced it with a 35HP Perkins on it and I had this motor until recently! somewhat large and heavy for it but thats what it had from new.
Circa 1958 four seat GRP hull and timber decked/interior runabout. It is a Horvellcraft and I have a copy of original sales advert, they were Perkins agents too. It still sports its 1958 name...Rooney! :lol:
Absolutely sound but the decks although not rotten have been got at by moisture oner the years meaning the top layer of veneer has had it in localised areas. Four options...1) paint them (shame) 2) cutting and letting in patches/filling prior to revarnish which would work and although not providing a mint finish would to many eyes be more original with patina. 3) re-veneer them which is tricky, 4) a re-deck which is easy and probably quicker and no more costly. It is 1/4 inch ply and is simply flat pieces brass pinned to the curves in 6 sections. most varnish has already been stripped from the boat. With careful staining/blending only a foredeck may be required. The two sides are fine and the aft deck only has a little lifting veneer which would tidy up. The fore is worst, primarily because it is grooved for the white lines letting in moisture.
All timber inside, dash, seating etc is fine and will restore/varnish or paint well.It benefits from all original alloy deckware, screen brackets plus a good screen. It has its period steering wheel, a horvellcraft script badge, alloy rubbing strakes and is absolutely as it was and unmessed. It even has decent condition cushions! piped in matching red.
It sits on its towable original but ropey trailer (one mudguard lost this weekend :oops: ) and I can offer it with a proven overhauled mid 60's Fastwin 18 shortshaft for extra ££. I have used this motor, it needs a repaint due to the hammerite loving previous owner that painted it! It has a lovely hood and under the hood also is good . Control box and cables also provided with boat.
A complete package with exception of a few connectors etc for cables/steering to motor.
100_0429 (Small).JPG
Attachments
HorvellCraft sales advert (Small).jpg
100_0031 (Small).JPG
Last edited by petrolhead on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

petrolhead

Re: Late 50's runabout project for sale....very sound.

Post by petrolhead »

I have got the wee boat at home and realise I am underselling her! It is

A) very pretty
B) in really rather good order for a project. Sound GRP hull with only one poor repair to bow area...I picked iy off to reveal a split.hole, 5 stringers and a nice tidy lay up inside for a 50's boat, knee braced fairly light transom and 3 inbuilt bouyancy chambers. Lovely shape, super curved deck sections.
c) Has all you need including all steering, lovely "birmabright" fittings which will simply polish being alloy. Ally fender strip will sand/polish back too. Even step pad surrounds are ally.
D) Has no rot I can find save the damaged areas of veneer which is almost entirely limited to the foredeck.
E) A complete package, can be restored for only a few hundred quid in parts/materials etc including a ply redeck to foredeck if desired.
F) Could possibly be unique?

I will post a picasa photo album shortly..........must sell it before I decide to keep it! :juggle: it keeps winking at me ;) which is not good :lol:

these three pics taken 21/7/2010, please ignore the camera date!
Attachments
101_1597 (Small).JPG
101_1607 (Small).JPG
101_1601 (Small).JPG

petrolhead

Re: 50's runabout project, very sound, new pics

Post by petrolhead »

Sold, all being well.