OMC Coils

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Cardo

OMC Coils

Post by Cardo »

Im after half a dozen Johnson Evinrude Coils, Part No 582995 and 584477 i believe, the ones that fit under the flywheel on eraly OMC engines 15-40HP. Anyone got any spare ones lying around? :hmmm:

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Re: OMC Coils

Post by petrolhead »

plenty that dont work....... :lol: I keep trying to think of ways to re case them so all the cracked nasty ones would work.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I have about half a dozen old ones in an old ice cream tub but wouldnt trust any of them :( . They are all old ones removed and replaced on my assortment of old jonnyrudes.

A few years ago I put a cracked pair in one of the firms ovens at 40 deg c for a weekto dry them out then re coated them in epoxy resin, absolute waste of time they were no better.
I have been told that you can re seal the cracks with nail varnish but I cant believe it works.

The problem is either that the windings arc to earth through the cracks or moisture from the air gets in and the insulation on the windings breaks down so you effectively have fewer windings and therfore less spark power. a new pattern pair from sierra cost about £40 and are a worhtwhile peace of mind investment.

DH

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi Rik, came to much the same conclusion myself a few years ago - there are a few 2nd hand on flea bay at the mo at £17 each. Am of the fit new and forget brigade now and the BigTwin I sold really benefitted from all new kit. Mike at South Coast Marine can send out mail order overnight if you need.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Cardo

Post by Cardo »

Thanx all, i gave in a bought 4 new ones, £100 all in inc shipping from Wills Marine in Devon.