23ft British Powerboat Company Launch.

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

burgundyben
CMBA Member: 0

23ft British Powerboat Company Launch.

Post by burgundyben »

This 23ft motorboat was built in 1936 to go racing by the British Powerboat Company in Hythe, Southampton.

The company was formed by Hubert Scott-Paine in the late 1920's after he sold Supermarine in Woolston (having had the foresight to offer Reginald Mitchell and job as a draughtsman). A big fire at the Hythe boatyard in the 30's destroyed many of the boats so few survive, I have compiled a rudimentary webpage listing those pleasure craft built by the company that survive, you can see the web page here

http://sites.google.com/site/britishpow ... y-register

As far as I can see there is ten surviving boats, this one, 'Red Fox', named (by me) after Scott-Paine himself is identical to Panther III, Scott-Paine's own boat still owned by his grandson in the USA (I've got photos)

I have two of these boats and with the best will in the world I'm not going to finish both so this one is for sale.

This boat was rebuilt by Phil Clabburn at the same time he rebuilt HSL102 and MGB81, although much smaller he carried out the work to the same exacting standard and Phil should be credited with the work.

The hull has been replanked, its a new mahogany deck, new mahogany transom, it has been eopxy cloth sheathed.

There is a fair amount of work to do, steering, engine, shaft, P bracket, wiring, tanks, deck fittings, but the hard, grotty, time consuming, dirty work has been done, it is in many ways a great opportunity.

If you are interested in owning a pre-war high speed planing motor boat designed and built in Britain with great provenance then your choices are limited! You could either put in a modern diesel or a period petrol, such as a Graymarine which is easily and cost effectively available from the USA. Indeed Panther III is fitted with a Graymarine.

I've been quoted by a shipwright £8,000 for some work on the hull of my other one of these and I want to go ahead, so that is my asking price, I dont imagine I'll get it so haggling is the order of the day.

I've loaded some more photos here http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u4/b ... Red%20Fox/

Trailer included, its a good trailer in good, but if you were planning on going far four new mini tyres would be a good idea.

Boat can be seen in Hamble, call 02380 456107.

Price reduced to £7800.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben

burgundyben

Re: 23ft British Powerboat Company Launch.

Post by burgundyben »

£7600?

£7400?

£7200? - I'm serious about selling.

burgundyben

Post by burgundyben »

£7000?

Anyone?

burgundyben

Post by burgundyben »

£6800?

And can be seen in the final frames fo this video

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=9129

(Thanks Tremlett).

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

burgundyben wrote:£6800?

And can be seen in the final frames fo this video

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=9129

(Thanks Tremlett).

:drink: :drink:

:wot:

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Post by Simonp »

Looks like a nice project for someone . I assume you have the Scott- Paine biography by Adrian Lance. This is called Fast Boats and Flying Boats and chronicles the history of the British Powerboat Company and Scott - Paine - lots of period photos of similar boats. Copies available on Amazon for £30.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

burgundyben

Post by burgundyben »

Simonp wrote:Looks like a nice project for someone . I assume you have the Scott- Paine biography by Adrian Lance. This is called Fast Boats and Flying Boats and chronicles the history of the British Powerboat Company and Scott - Paine - lots of period photos of similar boats. Copies available on Amazon for £30.

SimonP
Adrian Rance.

Yes I have a copy, it seems to be getting more and more expensive to buy, I certainly didn't pay £30 for it (although I paid a lot more for Bill Boddy's history of Brooklands!)

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Nor did I but I didn't pay much for Bill Boddy's book on Brooklands either (prob bought nearly 20 years ago)!

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

Simonp

Post by Simonp »

Nor did I but I didn't pay much for Bill Boddy's book on Brooklands either (prob bought nearly 20 years ago)!

SimonP

burgundyben

Post by burgundyben »

I've had a sniff of interest but no cigar...

Anyone want this fine vessel for £6500?