Short shaft motor wanted

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Short shaft motor wanted

Post by Rapier »

I have a contact who is looking for a running electric start Evinrude BigTwin, or Johnson 40hp equivalent in a short shaft.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

LitchboroughLitchbor
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Short shaft motor wanted

Post by LitchboroughLitchbor »

Hi Rapier
Unfortunately I can't help your contact, but I'm after something similiar myself.
For my mid-60s Tremlett, I'm looking for an early 60's Johnson (or Evinrude) V4, 75hp (or 90hp) short shaft (ideally).
I'm sure you know the type - without through-hub exhaust, so pointy propeller cone, and twin-wall exhaust leg, and whacky belt-driven distributor.
Any condition - within reason!
Cheers
Andrew

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome, Yes, I do..very hard to find here, have only seen a few, but in poor condition. By the mid / late 60s most were longshaft and very heavy motors, possibly enough to upset the Tremlett's handling.

LitchboroughLitchbor

Hi, thank you

I am sure you are right, that an OMC V4 would be too heavy for my Tremlett. It's well balanced with the Johnson 40, so I should leave it as it is.

We also have a Fletcher with 150 Mercury, about 1990. Very practical for family boating and skiing, but doesn't feel as classic as the '60s boats and outboards.

I've really enjoyed some videos from Chris Tate in Tennessee, of his '50s and '60s outboards, which has inspired me to join CMBA and think about another '60s outboard. But it will need another boat - and the Fletcher might have to go to make space :-(

If that's your chrome and white Mercury - it looks stunning!

Cheers

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Your Tremlett is a 13/14 footer? Post some pics if you can..

I'm a fan of the old dependable Johnnyrude 40s, but if it's more power you need there are still a few '66 on 50hp Mercury short shafts around - they can be re-decal'd with 60s decals, such that the uninitiated won't know. I sold a nice freshwater '77 shorty with modern ignition, but seldom see those in short shaft. That white merc was my 1960 Mercury 400, now sold on - was lovely, but they're a bit fussy with that old mid-sction / gearbox and props can be hard to find.

There are a few 80s and 90s Fletchers (GTO/GTS') in the club, many prefer them for the salt water rallies we run on the south coast, Falmouth and Neyland, so worthwhile hanging onto it.

LitchboroughLitchbor

Hi

The Johnson 40 has been in our family since 1962, so a firm favourite. It still runs well, but would probably benefit from a re-build. I've got some new pistons on order .025" over size, and if our block can't be re-bored, others seem to be available, even NOS.

I can see from your gallery, that the classic Mercurys are very popular with club members. This is what I remember as boy. We were the odd ones out, with our Johnson.

Yes, I can see that the Fletcher might be good for coastal events like Nayland and Falmouth.

If your contact is still looking, there's a Johnson 40 on ebay at the moment in Alabama - although I'm sure he doesn't want the trouble of importing an engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-2005-JOHN ... 1841824796

I've been in touch with a few dealers, to see if they have any old trade-in '60s OMC V4s. Most laugh, but the folks at Southwold were more constructive. They say they that for classic outboards, they have to import from USA. A few years ago I wanted a Mk1 Mini Cooper and had to go to Portugal for that!

I'll try and upload some pictures of the Tremlett soon. We always thought it was a 14 foot.

Cheers

LitchboroughLitchbor

Hi
I eventually found the '60s Johnson V4 I was looking for - in Ontario. Well, it makes sense, that's where they were originally made. I guess it will be a while before I get a commissioned engine, or indeed a suitable boat, but I'm looking forward to making a start.
Cheers
Andrew
PS. According to the model numbers, one of these two was originally a short shaft engine - so I've sourced a short driveshaft lower unit, to return it to original spec.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0210A.jpg