Wanted large classic outboard

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

flybuyboat
CMBA Member: 154

Wanted large classic outboard

Post by flybuyboat »

As she was
As she was
Preferably Merc "tower of power" 115 HP

This is to go on a 17ft Stapely ( Blast off ) when I get it sorted with new decks and transom please see pics of her in her hey day and as she is now

Also can members advise the best size outboard for this boat ( would like the max possible without making it too lethal )

thanks Simon
Attachments
As she is now .....but not for long !
As she is now .....but not for long !

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Wanted large classic outboard

Post by Rapier »

115 will be fine & the 90hp in line 6 is a very good motor too. Personally I'd go 'modern' with a 90hp Yamaha 3pot...still make them, parts available,have a wide range of propeller options, are oil injected, have smart gauges with overheat warnings and get-you-home mode. They're reliable, have great power to weight ratio and are more frugal on fuel.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Presume its a longshaft.
If she was mine I would like to keep the engine period to the boat (just doesn't seem right to me putting modern engines on classic boats - a bit like sticking a Honda engine in an E Type) - so an Inline tower 150 - 140, 115 or the later - more refined 90 (prop rated HP) are in keeping with as she was raced - several members have nice ones (some may be for sale) - outside the club there are a lot of doggy old corroded ones so be careful. - The Dutch look after their motors and tend to run them in fresh water
they often pop up on Marktpaats (like this one) - https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/watersport ... ousPage=lr - guess you can fly one home!

If you want to keep up with Smokey - and the transom is strong enough - try a V6 Merc.

also worth contacting a Belgian CMBA member - he is involved with this -
4 bps.jpg
(will send you an email with his contact details)

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

The motor in the racing picture of Blast Off looks like a Merc Blue Band - could be a 150HP (crank rated)

I think this would make the date (Rapier knows best on this!) 1973-75.

Later In line 6's (up to circa 1987, last ones were 115hp) had various decals, colours, and improvements to electrics and carbs made them a "tad" more economical on fuel. Not much difference in looks and NY Marine can supply very nice decal sets to re-date an engine. http://www.nymarine.ca/decals.html

Buying an unknown and untested old in-line 6 is risky, so best to stick to something you or someone in the club knows it's history, - or you can see it running.

Current 115 on eBay is on the coast (salty) and not running - it's a late model, 1986, so probably shaft rated hp

flybuyboat

Post by flybuyboat »

Thanks Andre, that's a huge help, I'm in no desperate rush so can take my time and get the right one :)

S

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

My Stapely Falcon (17') ex ski race boat runs a 1984 (with 1972 blueband decals) 115 straight 6 Merc (crank rated 150ish) runs about 60mph in the right conditions. She is a bit of a handful at that speed but I believe that is down to missing inner spray rails along the last 4' - 5' which are to be replaced.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

flybuyboat

Post by flybuyboat »

Found one !!

thanks for all your help and input guys

watch this space ( needs nearly as much restoration as the boat !

flybuyboat

Post by flybuyboat »

Anyone know where I can buy a workshop manual for it ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pjzxb ... ture=share