QUICKSILVER 2-STROKE OIL. DOES IT GO OFF?

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

berkshireboatman
CMBA Member: 726

QUICKSILVER 2-STROKE OIL. DOES IT GO OFF?

Post by berkshireboatman »

Does Quicksilver 2-stroke oil go off?

I have got 4 litres that I bought in 2007, that I no longer need as I am now running a four-stroke inboard.

If it is OK does £5 a litre sound reasonable?

Otherwise it will have to be disposed of.

Thanks

Emrhys Barrell
07703 218906
Attachments
QUICKSILVER IMG_2384 lo.jpg

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: QUICKSILVER 2-STROKE OIL. DOES IT GO OFF?

Post by solitaire »

The quick answer is " Yes it does go off" .......... Most reputable oil co's will say 2-3 years shelf life. You can see from the packaging that the bottle is collapsing - usually due to the solvent (carrier) evaporating into the plastic bottle.

Modern two stroke lubes are are made up from a very complicated and balanced formulation, or "recipe" - if you like, refined base stocks (heavy and light), an additive package (available from only two major oil chemical companies W.W.) and about 20% solvent to help it all mix together. All of which is tested at great cost to achieve/exceed the current NMMA -(TCW-3) specification required by the industry.

If the recipe is altered in any way (even by a few ppm) the chances are, the tests would fail, and the oil will not be fit for purpose.

Bottom line - don't store it too long, and dont mess with the formulation (ie add anything to it). It cost millions of dollars to develop and took some 3-5 years to perfect.

Most major oil co.s re-formulate every 3-5 years to keep pace with engine development, legislation, so also not advisable to mix blends.

Hope this helps. ( Solitaire - retired senior lubricants engineer. UK's largest oil co.)

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: QUICKSILVER 2-STROKE OIL. DOES IT GO OFF?

Post by floater »

solitaire wrote:( Solitaire - retired senior lubricants engineer. UK's largest oil co.)
Crisp N Dry ?