60's Ply runabout - Skimcraft project requires finishing

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dansteele
CMBA Member: 0

60's Ply runabout - Skimcraft project requires finishing

Post by Dansteele »

Afternoon All,

Due to huge change in circumstance (I'm off to Gibraltar for 4 months to complete my Yachmaster)

My 60's runabout, Hi-Fi is up for sale. Made apparently by a small outfit called Skimcraft in/near to Reading. She has always been dry stored inside and as a result exhibits not a trace of rot.

She's 13.5ft and on original in great condition unbraked trailer that has had new wheels/tyres/bearings all and only 150 miles on them since fitted. Original wheels with new tyres and 200 miles on them will also be included in the sale.

Current condition;
As in the latest photographs, I have removed the seats/interior and sanded down the original epoxy/varnish as this was starting to show signs of age. My plans were to fit a mahogany/ash planked deck and covering boards to suit and convert her to a 2 seater. I have also painstakingly removed all varnish/epoxy from the interior (that was a long job!) I haven't made any cuts or alterations to the original hull, she can be put back to her original configuration if required.
A few of the photos are midway through the varnish/epoxy being removed.

She comes with;
all original fittings, step pad, cleats etc, and the original interior
windscreen which is in great condition
another set of new old stock set of the deck hardware.
Restored mercury 6 gal tank that slots into a original mount at the stern
Trailer/spare set of wheels
Original bespoke canvas cover which is still in great condition
Moto Lita steering wheel and boss that Ive had made to fit onto the Teleflex 3/4 taper hub (included)
Original teleflex wheel and engine stop button
Smiths speedo and pickup
Original white mercury single lever control box and cables
Original 60's set of water skis that came with her

Ive included a pic of when I took her out of the Thames, with the merc 500 (potentially available by separate negotiation, not currently stored with boat) she really took off and handled well. Ive also included a few pics of current condition although difficult to photograph in the garage!

She's in my garage in Aylesbury at present. Could be a great project for someone, either to re-epoxy, varnish and fit interior and use as is, or go down the planked deck route for the truly classic gentlemans runabout look that is easy to tow/launch and will fit in a garage with ease (happily fits in my new build garage)

The only damage that requires attention on her is a crack in the small strip of wood that I believe is termed the skeg. Never got to the point of flipping the hull to address this. My intentions where to replace the whole 1 inch strip of wood once overturned vs doing a bad patch job repair. The great thing is, this isn't a strip down and discover what nasty things are hiding project, more of a finish her off and enjoy situation.

Sold! :(

Regards

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: 60's Ply runabout - Skimcraft project requires finishing

Post by Rapier »

Hope it went to a good home though?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...