Lovely Old Ads - 1964 International Boat Show Earl's Court

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Phil_Taylor
CMBA Member: 720

Lovely Old Ads - 1964 International Boat Show Earl's Court

Post by Phil_Taylor »

I sell a lot of books on Amazon and this one might be of interest to fellow members who like a bit of nostalgia:

'1964 catalogue of the International Boat Show Earl's Court 1st - 11th January, 1964 - a fascinating look back at the boating world - chock full of expositions and advertisements on Ray Wright's Delta series, the Bat Boat Hydroplane and an amazing Delphin one man submarine - This is a superb catalogue that has stood the test of time well - signs of use and handling but overall a very good example ' - £13.95 + free P&P if anyone is interested - PM me or ring if you have my number

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Lovely Old Ads - 1964 International Boat Show Earl's Court

Post by Howstar »

hi does this have a glastron jetflite boat in it or v143 or any glastron, or brooms

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Howstar wrote:hi does this have a glastron jetflite boat in it or v143 or any glastron, or brooms

have a look at this vid

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=43122

:drink:

:wot:

Phil_Taylor
CMBA Member: 720

Post by Phil_Taylor »

There are two entries for Broom - one is information regarding the wares of C.J Broom & Sons in relation to Navigator type cruisers of 34' and the other for Jack C Broom regarding "Five well known Broom runabouts..."
Theres also some good information on a 'Speranziella' coming in with a sphincter twitching twin Ford 400hp set up. I can't find any bits on Glastrons though by way of consolation the Simmonds Speedboats ad is in the form of a verse (sing a song of sixpence) that goes "Sing a song of Simmonds on river, lake and sea. What better boat than Simmonds can there ever be ?" and this goes on for three verses.
I'll have a more careful look at a more sensible time (its 2.44am now).
I also have a new copy of 'The Old Outboard Book" if anyone is interested

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

What a cracking link T15 - I have just wasted 1/2hr just like that looking at clips from 60's boat shows. Type "boat show" (include the speech marks) & you get pages of it. Great stuff, hours of enjoyment. Now all we need is for Rapier to identify the boats for us!

See: http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php ... at+show%22
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Alacrity, The sad thing is, I was working at most of those shows, the ones in the 60s anyway, there is a opening shot in one of those films with a girl on a water ski simulater, that was taken early on in the show, I know this , because someone( I wonder who :hmmm: ) put a gallon of cheap washing up liquid in it on the first saturday of the show , when the show was closing, and the show staff were still leaving, :oops: in those days the show was closed on the sunday but on the monday morning when it was switched on......... well.......it took days for the bubbles to subside.....!!!!......Happy days..... :D

There are a few people in those films that I remember, I also waisted an hour or two looking back,.........life was so much easier in black and white...
Last edited by se7en on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

se7en wrote:Alacrity, The sad thing is, I was working at most of those shows, the ones in the 60s anyway, there is a opening shot in one of those films with a girl on a water ski simulater, that was taken early on in the show, I know this , because someone put a gallon of cheap washing up liquid in it on the first saturday of the show , when the show was closing, and the show staff were still leaving, :oops: in those days the show was closed on the sunday but on the monday morning when it was switched on......... well.......it took days for the bubbles to subside.....!!!!......Happy days..... :D

would any of us know this "someone" :hmmm:

:drink:

:wot:
Last edited by Tremlett 15 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I will admit to going down the Fulham road and getting the washing up liquid from a janatorial supply shop, however, being an inocent young man.......I didn't know that the stuff was going to go in the ski simulator, that was my managers idea :idea: .......... but after that, we did get some more and put it in , Whale pumps display,and Cleghorn & Waring, they used to have a toy chimp pumping a 'Chimp' bilge pump all day, and also a display of running water in sinks and showers, the year after that, all the displays with running water were covered in glass...............they still are today,.... 40 years later,................nice to be remembered..!! :perfect: